Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Sunday School Liberal

It's election time again and I have to stop watching the news.  The craziness, the evil lies repeated over and over, the blind hate, the threats of violence, the unbelievable ignorance, are heartbreaking.  It's the worst I have ever seen in a period leading up to an election.  It's been building for a couple of years, though, getting worse and worse and now still getting worse.  I am deeply sad.  I have pretty much lost faith in us humans.  We'll believe anything if it's repeated enough.  Our self-righteousness is fed by hate.  What a way to run a country. 

I guess my politics came from my early exposure to Bible verses when I was just a tiny girl.  What I heard was stuff like loving your neightbor, helping widows and orphans, loving children. Give rather than try to get.  Treat everyone the way you would want to be treated.  Visit sick people and prisoners.  Focus my life on loving God and other people.  Give respect to leadership even if you disagree.  Pay your taxes.  Take care of the poor.  I'm pretty sure all this stuff is in the New Testament.  It's so strange to hear people who are declared fundamental Christians say things that sound the opposite to what I learned.  It's also strange that I don't consider myself a Christian since I know none of those people would claim me with my Sunday School beliefs. 

5 comments:

Liz said...

Agree. And it is all New Testament, yes.
But being a Christian has nothing to do with whether those "christians" would claim you and all to do with claiming to belonging to the Savior. :)
Even "christians" are wounded and confused - especially the one's in office - or so it seems.

Unknown said...

So true, Grandma. And Mom, if two completely different types of people use the same word to describe themselves, don't you think it's time for a new word?

Eric Wayne Mix, DO said...

Christian or not, you might suffer less if you turned off the flashy box ;-) heheheh

Liz said...

LOL! Eric - no boxes here!
Adam - no. :)

Eric Wayne Mix, DO said...

I don't exactly think the TV is THE root of all evil.... but it's at least in the top 5 ; ) I feel that it's bad for the mind, spirit, and even the body, IMHO : )

Blog Archive