Thursday, December 17, 2009

Challenges

I'm still reading Melody Beattie's book, 52 Weeks of Conscious Contact. This week's readings are on challenges. She maintains that if we don't have challenges, we'll create some for ourselves - and for those of us with addiction problems, they're usually negative and self-defeating challenges. For example, when I don't have enough challenges in my life, I'll decide to take on a "change the world" project, or spend too much time trying to help someone who doesn't want help.

Melody suggests that the solution is to create challenges for ourselves that are healthy and important (and maybe even fun). Set new goals for ourselves in our work, relationships and/or spiritual life. Make a plan to grow closer to someone you love, learn something new for your work, or learn a new spiritual practice. What a good time of the year for me to think about this. I always set goals, but this is kind of a new take on what I usually do. Entertaining - I love to be entertained. More on this later.

No comments:

Blog Archive