Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Commitment

At the Alanon meeting I attended this morning, one of the pages read was about the commitment it takes to be responsible for our own happiness - how easy it is to fall back into the belief that if only the people in our lives and the circumstances of our lives would conform to our wishes, we would be happy. The truth is that our best teacher is our awareness of death - hardly anyone would say on their deathbed, "I wish people would have treated me better and that I had always gotten my own way." Most people's regrets are probably going to be along the lines of wishing they had treated the people they loved better and that they had appreciated the gifts life gave them more. The trick is to remember this truth, moment by moment, one day at a time.

No comments:

Blog Archive