Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Election

A lovely 14 hour day was had by all the election workers. I'm always amazed that I can actually do a 14 hour day. Of course, a lot of it is sitting down. We had a steady stream of voters for mayor and city council. A little more than 1/3 of the voters in the precinct voted, which is a pretty good turnout. It was a hotly contested mayoral race which may have accounted for the turnout. The guy I voted for promised to get all the streets fixed. I hope he meant it because Tulsa streets are a mess.

I often wonder why I am so fascinated by politics (even thought the "mud-slinging" drives me nuts). I haven't figured it out yet, but I suspect it's because I love it that we have the responsibility for our own government. I don't think we're doing a very good job with our responsibilities, but I'm always hopeful that it will get better. I've taught public policy for volunteers at both of my last two jobs and I'm always amazed at how powerless people think they are. I've learned in my recovery program that I'm always responsible for what I CAN do and to stop worrying about what I can't do. (Serenity prayer).

No comments:

Blog Archive