Monday, April 23, 2012

Fun

Just came back from the Eureka Springs, Springtime in the Ozarks conference.  The weather was lovely and the speakers were entertaining and very helpful.  I laughed and laughed at the speaker on Saturday night.  He said that meditation was not "extra credit" in working the program - it's in the steps so we're supposed to do it.  He said meditation had taught him that he was not his thoughts.  He said that people sometimes believed that their thoughts were enemies since acting on their thoughts often got them in trouble.  No, he said, it's not that our thoughts are enemies - they're trying to help us but they're just stupid is all.  Boy has that ever been true for me.

This was the first time I'd been to the conference since the wreck.  For several years I didn't want to go because I thought going would trigger grief.  Ron and I were married there in 1986 and went to the conference every year but one after that until his death.  We thought Eureka was our town - just made for us and we went there a whole lot in between conferences.  We shopped, ate and walked.  My whole house is decorated with stuff we got in Eureka Springs.  I got my beloved bubble machine there.  This year when I thought about going to the conference I didn't have the feeling that I would grieve there and I didn't.  It was like coming home to a place that has always been filled with joy for me. 

Thanks to my friend and roommate for making the drive and helping me get around and thanks to one of Ron's friends who gave me a ride on his motorcycle up the hill from the conference.  I know my truma surgeon would have a fit, but it also felt good to be back on a bike!

1 comment:

Eric Wayne Mix, DO said...

Wish I could've been there with you! Glad it was fun : ))

Blog Archive