Wednesday, February 06, 2013

The Great Book Purge

For the past several weeks I've been gradually going through all my hundreds of books and ditching the ones that I don't need anymore.  I ditched a whole bunch of books on supervising difficult people.  I hope to God I never have to do that again!  It seems to me that once a person has been trained and has a job description plus a weekly meeting to solve any problems that come up, the person should just do his/her job.  It turns out that isn't how it works.  

I still need to decide where to put a few of the remaining books, but for the most part I'm finished.  This little chore only gets done every few years, but is eminently satisfying.  I have so many wonderful books that I end up with a huge pile of books I want to re-read.

I am grateful to have learned to read at around four years of age. As an only child of schoolteachers, I entertained myself by reading.  I also learned a tremendous amount.  I am probably educated to the level of a doctorate even though I barely got my undergraduate degree.  I've read thousands of books - both fiction and non-fiction.

One of the things I learned is that there's a lot of information about how to live life in all those books that you won't be able to think up on your own.  Of course, now we have Google but even though I utterly adore Google, I still enjoy books more.  I'm not a fan of electronic books because I can't share them with other people and I wouldn't have the happy task of handling them with love.

No comments:

Blog Archive